Code of Ethics
United Way is committed to the highest ethical standards. We must be leaders within our community to build partnerships to work together in order to identify our local needs and build resources to promote the well-being of everyone in our counties. This Code of Ethics is to guide the conduct of all board members, representatives, volunteers and employees of the United Way Montcalm – Ionia Counties
Personal and Professional Integrity
A personal commitment to integrity in all circumstances benefits each individual, as well as the organization. As board members, employees, volunteers, and representatives of a nonprofit organization, we shall:
- Set an example for high standards of performance, quality, service, and achievement in working towards the United Way mission
- Communicate honestly and openly and avoid misrepresentation
- Exhibit respect and fairness towards all those with whom we come into contact
- Honor the right of privacy of all people, including co-workers, contributors, and beneficiaries.
- Promote public confidence in philanthropic institutions
- Comply with all laws and regulations affecting the organization and their personal obligations
- Discuss any questions concerning interpretations or compliance with the code of ethics with an Executive Committee member
As board members, employees, volunteers, and representatives of a nonprofit organization, we shall:
- Promote good stewardship of United Way resources that are used to pay operating expenses, salaries, and employee benefits and refrain from allowing expenditures of United Way funds that, by their nature or amount, do not directly advance the United Way mission
- Observe and comply with all laws and regulations affecting United Way Montcalm – Ionia Counties
Solicitations and Voluntary Giving
As board members, employees, and representatives of a nonprofit organization, we shall:
- Promote voluntary giving in dealing with donors. The most responsive contributors are those who have the opportunity to become informed and involved
- Refrain from any use of coercion in fundraising activities. Giving is a personal matter and decision.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity
United Way Montcalm – Ionia Counties is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the principle of diversity. UWM – I board members, employees and volunteers:
- Value, champion, and embrace diversity as an integral part of their business
- Uphold the policy of the United Way to provide equal membership, employment and service opportunities to all eligible persons without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, marital status, parental status, handicap, membership in any labor organization, political affiliations and, for employment only height, weight, and record of arrest without conviction
Responsibilities to Volunteers
As volunteers who serve the United Way Montcalm – Ionia Counties, through their Board of Directors, programs, or otherwise, are crucial to the success of the organization. In order to assist volunteers to serve effectively and to obtain satisfaction from their service, United Way Montcalm – Ionia Counties will:
- Support volunteers so they can perform to the highest level of their contribution and personal satisfaction
- Treat all volunteers with fairness, equity and respect
- Assist in the development and the understanding of the roles of volunteers and employees, respectively; set clear standards of performance for volunteers; and appropriately recognize their contributions.
Conflicts of Interest
- United Way Staff: Avoid any activity or outside interest which conflicts or appears to conflict with the best interests of UWM-I
- United Way Volunteers: Should not knowingly take any action, or make any statement, intended to influence the conduct of UWM-I in such a way to confer any financial benefit to themselves, their immediate family members or any organization in which they or their immediate family members have a significant interest as stakeholders, directors, or officers
- Disclose all known conflicts or potential conflicts of interest in any manner before the Board of Directors, if they are Board members, or any committee upon which they serve
United Way Montcalm – Ionia Counties Staff and Volunteers will sign the Conflict of Interest Policy annually
Confidentiality is a hallmark of professionalism. United Way Montcalm – Ionia Counties Board Members, volunteers, and employees:
- Ensure that all information, which is confidential, privileged or nonpublic, is not disclosed inappropriately
- United Way Montcalm – Ionia Counties Staff and Volunteers will sign the Confidentiality Statement annually
No board members, employee or volunteer should accept any gratuity or favor for participating in United Way Montcalm – Ionia Counties activities. United Way individuals:
- Do not solicit or accept gratuities, gifts or favors, other than promotional gifts of nominal value, for themselves or their families
- Do not use United Way Montcalm – Ionia Counties resources for personal gain
- Adhere to the Conflict of Interest Policy adopted by the United Way Montcalm – Ionia Counties Board of Directors
Volunteers and staff are encouraged to seek guidance from the Board of Directors concerning the interpretation or application of this Code of Ethics. Any known or possible breaches of the Code of Ethics should be disclosed to the tip line: 1-844-384-7546 or via the website: fiduciasolutions.org for investigation to a prompt and fair resolution (Organization ID - 044721).
For a printable version of our Code of Ethics, please click here.