United Way's Definition of Equity
Equity is the intentional including of everyone in society. Equity is achieved when systemic, institutional, and historical barriers based on race, gender, sexual orientation, and other identities are dismantled and no longer predict socioeconomic, education and health outcomes.
To learn more about United Way Montcalm-Ionia Counties' Equity Vision visit our Statement of Principle page.
21 Day Equity Challenge
Thank you for your interest in joining the United Way Montcalm-Ionia Counties' 21-Day Equity Challenge – we hope you will join us.
The recent release of the ALICE and Black Households Data clearly illustrates the inequities that are deeply rooted in our national, state, and local systems and institutions. Over the 21-day Challenge, you will take a self-guided learning journey that examines the history and impacts of racism and how it shapes people’s lived experience in Montcalm and Ionia Counties.
The Challenge is simple: you (along with your friends, family, and neighbors in Montcalm and Ionia Counties) commit to deepening your understanding of, and willingness to confront racism for twenty-one consecutive days. The Challenge will raise your awareness, change your understanding, and shift the way you behave.
This Challenge was originally developed by Dr. Eddie Moore, Jr., Dr. Marguerite Penick-Parks and Debby Irving and has been adapted by Food Solutions New England. The Michigan Association of United Ways has committed to adapt the challenge with the support of leaders across our Michigan United Way network. A special thank you to the United Way of Washtenaw County for their leadership and guidance.
About the Equity Challenge
- Individuals and organizations in Montcalm and Ionia Counties commit to deepening their understanding of, and willingness to confront, racism for twenty-one consecutive days.
- During every morning of the Challenge, they receive an email "prompt" with readings, videos and/or podcasts. They are encouraged to take about ten to fifteen minutes each day with the material in the prompt.
- Download our discussion guide by clicking here.
- Daily reflections and actions can be captured in our activity log. Click here to download the log.
- Reflections and “a ha” moments can be shared using the hashtags #miuwequitychallenge. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!
Check out Our Blog to read more about what United Way Montcalm-Ionia Counties is doing to promote equity.